Tooth loss is the result of a variety of conditions – it could be injury, tooth decay, or gum disease. There are many options for replacing a damaged or missing tooth, from dentures to dental bridges. Nowadays another popular choice that patients are opting for is dental implants. At New Generation Dentistry located in Mission Viejo, we offer dental implants as an option for tooth replacement. We believe in the power of a great smile, and will work with you to determine the best option for restoring your teeth.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a more permanent solution to replacing teeth. They are metal posts that serve as a tooth root, which will fuse with your bone to support artificial teeth. By surgically positioning the implant into the jawbone, the dentist can mount a replacement tooth in that area.
Who Should Get Dental Implants?
Anyone who has missing teeth can be considered for dental implants. Patients with healthy, fully developed gums and jaw bones are better candidates for dental implants, but dentists can also perform bone graft surgery to create a more stable base for the implants.
How Are Dental Implants Installed?
Depending on what you need, the dental implant process could take a couple weeks to a few months to complete. If you need bone grafting, it may take longer than usual.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Your dentist will take you in for a consultation by taking a 3D scan and evaluating your current oral health.
- If you qualify for dental implant surgery, the next step is to take an impression of the surgical stent.
- Then the surgery commences and the dentist will place the metal post into the bone. Your doctor will most likely recommend a type of anesthesia or sedation. Then, the dentist will make an incision into your gum to access the jaw. There, a small hole will be created where the metal post will be inserted. Finally, the implant cap is sealed.
- For the next few weeks, your bone will bond to the implant. After it is healed, a dental crown, bridge, or denture can be secured on top.
What Are The Benefits?
There are many benefits to choosing dental implants over ordinary dentures or bridges. With dental implants, patients are able to:
- Speak with ease. You won’t have to worry about any replacement teeth coming loose. There’s no slurring or stuttering from detached dentures. Now, you can talk to the people you love (or hate) like you used to!
- Enjoy food. Implants don’t slip or shift, so you get the same stability as you would with natural teeth. You can eat all your favorite teeth whenever you want.
- Clean teeth normally. You can clean your dental implants the same way as natural teeth.
- Preserve jaw bone and face-shape. One of the most important reasons people get dental implants is actually to protect their jaws and prevent bone loss. Empty spaces in your mouth can lead to jaw deterioration because the bone atrophies with disuse. Dental implants don’t shift nearby teeth, you don’t have to worry about your facial structure changing.
Dental implants are a great choice for replacing a missing or damaged tooth. If you have been considering your options for tooth replacement, find out if you are a candidate for dental implants by booking an appointment at our office. At New Generation Dentistry, our team of dentists in Mission Viejo will work with you to ensure that you have a healthy smile for many years to come.
Updated for 2018.