As well as offering a wide range of cosmetic dentistry services, New Generation Dentistry is a highly trusted general dentist for Mission Viejo in California. But what is a general dentist? Here, we’re going to explore general dentistry, the kind of services a general dentist provides, and how you can identify an excellent general dentist.
It’s important to know what, exactly, you’re getting into when you choose a dentist and what they can do for you.
What is a general dentist?
General dentists are a type of dentist who offers primary care to ensure the safety and health of your mouth and teeth. Unlike cosmetic dentists, their primary concern isn’t whether your smile looks good, but that your oral and dental health is protected. As such, they diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions and manage your oral health with your cooperation over time.
A good general dentist is just as experienced and highly trained as specialists, they mainly focus on ensuring excellent standards of oral health for their patients. Furthermore, many general dentists will offer cosmetic, orthodontic, or restorative services. You should always check with the practice to make sure you know what kind of help they can provide you with.
What services does a general dentist offer?
As mentioned, a general dentist offers services that are designed to ensure the best in oral and dental health care. However, here are a few examples of the specific kinds of services you can expect:
- Exams and x-rays to help spot and diagnose any issues with your teeth and mouth
- Dental cleanings to get rid of bacteria, plaque, and tartar, preventing tooth decay
- Fillings, root canals, and extractions to help treat tooth decay and abscesses
- Many general dentists also offer some cosmetic dentistry services such as teeth whitening and veneers, which are thin layers of porcelain attached to your teeth
- Implants, crowns, bridges, dentures, and partial dentures, which are all artificial replacements for teeth that have come out or been heavily damaged
- Orthodontics to help address problems with misalignment, such as crooked or crowded teeth
- Oral care to help with the symptoms of sleep apnea
Besides the treatments named above as examples, your general dentist will also be able to offer advice on oral care and prevention of oral health issues whenever you need it.
What should you look for in a good general dentist?
Now that you know what a general dentist does, it should be clear how important it is to have one on your side. First, however, you should know how to pick out the best. Here is what you should look for in a good general dentist:
- Experience: They should clearly list their education, where they have worked, and how long they have been practicing for. Individual members of the practice should be able to tell you what, if any, expertise they have.
- Good office manners: As well as a high quality of treatment, you should also expect a high standard of service from your general dentist. This includes politeness, professionalism, and a desire to ensure their patients are as well informed about their treatments as possible.
- A good location: Hopefully, your general dentist will be conveniently located so you can easily reach them when you need them. Look at their address and see if you can reach them from your home, your office, and wherever else you’re likely to spend a lot of time.
- An informative website: As well as the information listed above, a good general dentist should have photos of their practice, and introductions for the team on the website, so you can get familiar with them before you have to go for an appointment.
- Positive reviews: Look at both any testimonials the dentist might have on their site, as well as reviews that are listed on Google or social media. See what the clients are saying about the dentist and whether it matches your needs and expectations.
- Affordable access: They may not be listed on the site, but get in touch to learn more about average prices of treatments you can expect. It’s important to see that your insurance will cover any treatments from your general dentist, too.
Are you looking for a general dentist in Mission Viejo, California?
If you’re in need of a general dentist in Mission Viejo, then New Generation Dentistry is the practice for you and your whole family. Feel free to give us a call, get in touch with the team, and ask us any questions you have. We’re glad to provide more information and to clear up any questions or concerns you might have. If you are ready to make an appointment, please visit our New Generation Dentistry website.